I’m looking for some fun/interesting projects to work on. Interesting projects I have done at Aarchon over the last several years that I could help implement in other games:
- support for lua scripting, including mobprogs, objprogs, roomprogs, areaprogs (see http://rooflez.com/dokuwiki/doku.php, https://bitbucket.org/Odoth/quickmud-lua/src/default/)
- integrating C++ code to C codebase (C still compiles as C, not C++)
- runtime performance monitoring to measure % of pulse usage, detect pulse overruns, identify hot spots
- general code quality/safety improvements, e.g. replacing calls to sprintf with snprintf, adding const where possible, enabling as many compiler warnings as possible and fixing them all.
- instrumenting to track memory usage/leaking
These are just some examples. Willing to consider any interesting project.
I’m not really strong with game design stuff like designing and balancing classes, skills, gameplay mechanics. More useful with infrastructural type stuff.
I’m most familiar with Diku (ROM specifically), so I’d be the most useful in related codebases, but willing to consider any codebase. I’m strong in C, C++, Python, Lua.
Q: Am I quitting Aarchon?
A: No, just looking for a little side action.
Q: Am I trying to take over your MUD?
A: No, thanks.
Q: Am I trying to become a permanent coder at your MUD?
A: Probably not.
Q: Do I want to be an official immortal on your live game?
A: Not really, unless it somehow facilitates testing/debug.
Q: Am I going to actively play your game?
Q: Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
A: Just like me, they long to be close to you.
If you’re interested, feel free to send a private message or reply to this post so we can discuss the details.