Django + Channels (Python MUD)

Hey all! New to this forum but excited to be a part of it.

As part of my journey into programming in Python, I’ve had some experience in working with web apps in Django and just recently learned about Channels, which allows for an asynchronous connection between users and the server. I’ve been researching options for MUD development and would really like to see how this pans out.

I’m still quite a novice, but these tools will end up being very useful for my long term goals while, hopefully, making it fun to learn by working on a MUD/game.

If you are also interested in learning Python, or just want to work on a Python MUD, I am definitely looking for people to work with. This is entirely a learning experience but as an MBA, I never rule out the possibility of generating some revenue with it in one way or another.

Feel free to get a hold of me if you’re interested in joining the journey!

I’m not sure if you’re aware of Evennia, but that is a MUD library that uses Django extensively. If you haven’t done so already, I’d recommend checking it out for ideas. It is still in Python 2.7, but t’s under active development and, if I recall correctly, is in the process of being converted to Python 3. If you’re familiar with Django you’ll likely have no problem using Evennia. Games such as Arx are already using it extensively.

Sure, thanks for the suggestion. I have looked into Evennia. It is about half still in Py2.7 still unfortunately and I don’t want an entire game engine created just to then be modifying the content.

I am using it as some influence for the engine creation but I am definitely looking to keep a very minimal code base. I want to be aware how everything works from the get go, even if that incorporates a bit more headache so I can transfer this information to other projects.