Current Comcast Port Forwarding

Not really sure where to put this…

I’m trying to set up access from outside my location to connect to a temporary server connected to Comcast - being a MUD server it’s light load at best.

Curious if anyone out there has instructions on how to do it — the tutorials shown out there are old and outdated (the modem login no longer supports this - it must be done through Comcast’s website, which may not even support it anymore?)

If all you have is comcast’s modem as your router, I don’t think you can do it. They don’t have support for local port forwarding rules.

You CAN do it if you have your own gateway router behind the comcast modem. Read your own router’s documentation for how to set up an inbound port forwarding rule. After that, the trick is to get the comcast router to go into “bridge mode”, so that it will stop NATing and routing your connections. I believe the modem is usually reachable via ipv4 at 10.0.0.1 directly from one of the ethernet ports. There may be a default login/password that you’ll have to figure out on your own, or by asking comcast. Once you are in the modem, find the option that says ‘bridge mode’. Set that and you’re done. Inbound connections will be handed off directly to your own router without any filtering for handling as you see fit.

You can also call or text chat with comcast and ask them to configure your modem for bridge mode. It is something they can do remotely.

Well it was a good idea… certainly the bridged router helped with settings, however trying to obtain a publicly accessible IP Address on this Residential account seems near impossible.

I may just opt for a DSL line with a Static IP if necessary, on a separate computer.

This was so much easier 10 years ago! lol

You aren’t going to get a static IP assignment from comcast, that’s for sure, but you can use a service like DynDNS to keep your FQDN’s pointed at your dynamically assigned addresses. That’s what I’ve been doing for years now, and it works fine, for both IPv6 and v4 addresses.

I tried that, seemed to work OK, but the layers of Comcast where I am seem difficult to get a direct IP Address even with IPv6. Oh well.

I am close to hosting staff again, so I am thinking I will just get a business DSL line which should be a better support and I can guarantee a better connection.

You aren’t going to get Comcast to give you a permanent or static address assignment. They don’t do that. Everything is automatic through DHCP. Their system will give you a single Ipv4 address for your router to nat your hosts behind, and because ipv6 nat isn’t widely available yet, one ipv6 address for your router and one /64 subnet for hosts behind your router to use,

If you want inbound connections to get to you, you’ll have to automatically update your own A and AAAA dns records when the addresses are assigned or changed. My experience is that they let systems renew the addresses in perpetuity. Mine regularly goes months without address changes.

I was a network engineer by trade, and I’ll say its not the easiest thing in the world to set up self hosting on Comcast, even for a pro. However, it can be done, and it works great once it is going! Very solid, very fast connections, with great uptime. But… if you want paid support from your ISP, you’re probably better off looking elsewhere for hosting.

Don’t they do this if you have a business account with them? At least, it’s been an option before for myself in the past.

Residential accounts they do not – it heavily implies running a server of any type on a Residential account which isn’t allowed.

With a business account it’s a product and feature you have to buy. DSL/Fiber does that as well. Something like $10/mo extra, and then you’re technically in compliance to their terms and conditions with a Business account — and with a MUD the bandwidth won’t be an issue for anything metered.

One of my issues is that I’ve went completely rogue in my MUD hobby and software engineering.

I’m sure getting a subscription somewhere that has remote virtual windows access and has VB6 running is going to be nearly impossible.

To simulate a MUD reboot I actually have two projects running, one connection handler, and one for the MUD itself for game play. So basically, I’ll have to house the server from my residence unless some sort of VMWare style interface is available, as a server, and allows VB6 installed… I’m guessing that is an act of Congress to do.

A Business VDSL account with a Static IP product sounds like the easiest way to go with this — and with CenturyLink’s MTM option, I can at least try it out first.

If you can run your MUD in a linux environment, there are many cheap ($20ish/month) VPS rentals out there that will give you a static I.P, address and plenty of resources. The downside being you don’t have complete control of the box and using VB you’ll likely have to dev off-site.

Honestly I never even compile. I’m always in debug mode since if there’s a crash I can debug on the fly, change code, and hit resume without a MUD reboot. And with processing power these days it hasn’t made a difference.

If there were a way to do it remotely I could do it.

I guess I would be surprised if there wasn’t a VMWare style seduce out there that functions as a server hosting service. I’ll look into that.

Sorry, I assumed residential from the original request. One might be able to get an address assignment for a business level account, but I don’t know.