Anyone still making new codebases?

im just curious if development of this old style game is still happening or if people just updating old codebases?

Sure there are new code bases being created. A few recent ones come to mind:

There are a lot of new code bases being worked on all the time over at the MUD Coders Guild. I am personally working on ExVenture.

https://exventure.org

I’m also building a MUD engine from scratch in C++11, much inspired by ROM. Can’t tell much about it though as it is proprietary work. And I am absolutely enjoying this task because I spent 5 years developing a ROM based MUD and I know all the things that I wasn’t happy about in that engine. Perhaps most importantly, it is a full blown graphical RPG that is completely backwards compatible with telnet.

oh good this makes me happy.

i am glad there is still such active development. we been writing our codebase from ground up.
started with simplemud written in python and now its mostly our own code

CoffeeMud has been in continuous development for 18 years now, and boy are my fingers tired!

I see people all over the place working on brand new codebases.

99% of them never go anywhere or ever see release, but people are making them :stuck_out_tongue:

Guilty as charged, here. It’s more of a hobby for me, so the dedication and time commitment is low.

It’s kind of like people who write books but never finish them. Well intended, sometimes not enough talent, not enough time, or not enough desire to finish it.